Osteopathic Manipulative Therapy (OMT) uses a gentle hands-on approach to assess, diagnose and treat almost any healthcare issue. Our core practice at The Spinal Joint is based on the fundamental principles of classical osteopathy:
- The human body is a dynamic unit of function comprising mind, body and spirit
- The anatomical structure of the body and physiological function are interdependent and interrelated on all levels
- The body is self-healing and self-regulating
- Rational treatment is based upon the above principles
Osteopathic philosophy and treatment are inseparable with the emphasis on enhanced connection and communication between all systems of the body. In addition to providing comfort and improved functionality, we work with you to actively engage your body’s own therapeutic potential. This is accomplished in a safe, efficient, and effective manner by removing restrictions from hard and soft tissues, fluids, organs and glands. Combinations of general and specific adjustments encourage balanced blood flow and nerve impulses which support each individual patient’s capacity for self-healing.
The treatments are commonly beneficial for any type of illness, injury or stress including: headaches, neck pain, backaches, neuromusculoskeletal tensions, conditions of the 'HEENT' (head, eyes, ears, nose, throat), and those of digestion and elimination. Osteopathy is safe, efficient and most importantly, effective. OMT is appropriate for patients of all ages: infants, children, teens, pregnant women and the elderly. It can also help those with debilitating illnesses, significant trauma or recovering from recent surgery.
What you can expect with your Spinal Joint appointment:
- Initial visits take approximately one hour and begin with a review of your medical history
- This is followed by a structural assessment of your unique condition and level of function
- A rational treatment plan is developed based on further observations, tests and OMT principles
Follow-up visits typically last between 20 to 40 minutes. OMT alters the various dynamics of nerve impulses and blood flow, the effects of the treatment continue after you leave our office. Further responses can occur 24 to 48 hours following your visit as your body adjusts to the beneficial changes.